Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 1 of Infusion # 1

I have to admit, I'm super confused myself about how I feel about these infusion cocktails. Why am I being so secretive about the ingredients? Why did I (do I) feel like it's so secretive coming from my doctor's office? People surely can't buy all the ingredients and make their own just by googling it, can they? Are they worried about lawsuits? Are they worried about government over sight? Or are they trapped by laws and rules and regulations to save their own skin and personal reputations and jobs? That is probably the best answer I guess.

But I don't care about all that, really. Why? Because after the first transfusion, I mean infusion, now (how's that for a big oops!) I felt surprisingly better. For about 3 weeks.

Let me back up. This is the funny, but not really, story behind that. It's supposed to take 4 hours and I can't drive. I'm just going to be laying there or sitting there or whatever so what do I do? I show up with my laptop, a movie, some emails to catch up on, etc. They have WIFI, I have headphones, so why not? This is supposed to be as pain free as possible, right? You should have seen the nurses' faces. Confused is one of many adjectives I could choose from.

They hook me up to heart monitors and an oxygen reader goes on my finger. Oops, they didn't mention that in the one and only "bedroom" the monitor is old so one of the probes has to go on your leg. I definitely would have shaved had I known that! Oh well, they are nurses...both a man and a woman...no biggie. I've got my most comfy fibro pants on and a t-shirt. (Fibro pants are very loose fitting work out pants so I don't have to feel any seams against my legs.) Needles don't bother me so I get all hooked up but I also didn't realize that I'd be getting a mega dose of sedative in the cocktail. Oh really? Why? Because ketamine tends to make people disoriented. Oh, OK. Can you plug in my laptop right there? I don't think I can last 4 hours on the battery alone.

Again, mass confusion and glances my way. You DID sign the paperwork, right? Yep. Well, I'd suggest you do any emails very first. Again, I was confused and wondering what in the world they were talking about. I'd had sedatives before and sure, they make you sleepy, but they don't stop the kind of pain I deal with and sitting here isn't helping, either, so let's go already.

They give me pillows to prop between my knees, very helpful, I've got warm blankets if I want them, I'm already starting to get a little drowsy, but then they put the rails up on the bed. Huh? I know it's a twin but I'm not that big and when you have fibro rolling over can be a big deal. Hooked up to all those wires it's an even bigger deal. But hey, my fingers are already starting to move slowly and the emails are sliding all over the laptop screen. I quickly realize they know what they are talking about so they take all my crap away and put it well without my reach so I don't knock it off or something. What kind of vitamins and "stuff" is in this cocktail?

Another honesty disclaimer...again none of your business but just to make you understand my thoughts a little better...I've never done drugs. Not for fun anyway so I had no idea what tripping or getting high was like. NO IDEA! All I do know is that it IS a good thing I had that bed rail up because this was going to be a lot more difficult than I ever imagined. I learned the hard way that first day to never have to go to the bathroom when you are hooked up to an iv cart. You can't walk by yourself. The nurse helped me but man was I holding on to that thing and very much in danger of running into walls and counters. To my horror I could not be left alone in the bathroom. Stage fright, folks, is all I've got to say about that.

I did notice, however, that the clinic only has one private room. Everyone else was sitting in lazy boy type chairs with ER type curtains that could be pulled around them. They all circle around one big open cubicle type thing with a nurses station. There were two nurses that first day for me. And it's a good thing because I know I was not their only patient. But I couldn't tell you much else about that first experience.

Frightening? Yep, for me since I like to be in control of my surroundings and what is put into my body. Embarrassing? Heck yes! I don't pee in front of strangers...ever! Confusing? Duh. But they gave me my privacy as much as they could, they offered me snacks and/or water if they thought I might need it, they checked in on me I guess because I know they helped me to the bathroom, and voila...the first treatment was finally over.

The first thing they ask you is, "What is your pain level?" That is the first question when you both start and stop a treatment. To this day I wouldn't know how to answer that question. Pain? You want me to get out of this bed and walk? Right now? Yeah right. I think my husband picked me up that first day. I can't remember. But I made it home (obviously) and slept or something for the rest of the day. So I could get up and do it the next day, too.

I WILL go into detail again about day #2 just to show you that not every treatment day is the same. It can get worse. Day # 2 was a LOT worse. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment